I seriously LOVE this stencil. I use it ALL. THE. TIME. It is so versatile and great for adding patterns to paintings and interest to backgrounds.
Today I challenged myself to use this stencil to create a painting ~ and ONLY this stencil.
(1) I took my wooden board covered in tissue paper and a light wash of paint.
(2) I took a mixture of titan buff with a TINY drop of raw umber and spread it on the background with a palette knife.
(3) I sketched out a vase and used raw umber through the rectangular part of the stencil.
(4) Next I took cadmium red and used the swirly part of the stencil to make random flowers .
(5) I used the leafy part of the stencil and dabbed sap green through to make leaves.
(6) I mixed red and white to make a little pink and used the pinwheel part of the stencil to create pink flowers in random places.
(7) I repeated until I was happy with the result. I then smudged a bit of pink along the bottom to create a shadow.
(8) I used a black pen to define the flowers, leaves and vase.
(9) I scribbled on the bottom ~ "find beauty in your day".
Hope you enjoyed this! For more tutorials and a chance to win some giveaways, hop on over to Kirsten Reed Designs, where I am doing a weeklong "party" to celebrate my new website! See you there!