I’ve had the black 8 x 8” Dylusions art journal in my possession for quite a while but it took time before I did my first spread in it. Now that I have, I wonder why I waited so long! This newest project in my capacity as Guest Designer for StencilGirl proved to be so much fun, specially playing with all those metallic colours. Here is the step by step tutorial:
1. Gesso the pages white but leave some of the black background on show, especially around the edges.
2. Using red and yellow paint scrape them across the pages with an old credit card
and then remove the paint using Use Your Words.
3. Repeat step 2 using blue paint.
4. Repeat step 2 again this time with titanium white.
5. Add pieces of a paper napkin featuring flower shapes with matte medium.
Remember to use only the top layer of the paper napkin.
6. Let turquoise ink drip down the pages and spread it about.
7. Add a figure and text from a fashion magazine and outline them with a black Stabilo All pencil.
8. Using Mandala #1, add the entire stencil to the left hand page and also add the inner circle part of the mandala as shown, with copper and gold Radiant Gels.
9. Outline the shapes and fill the centre of some of the circles using a sparkly blue gel pen.
(C) Frieda Oxenham 2016. To see more of Frieda's work, please visit her BLOG.