I’m returning to my project of illustrating a poem about time by Ben Okri (you can find the previous ones here and here) and have now reached the lines: “We can plant deeds in time as gardeners plant roses”. The pages I’m using for this spread once again come from the large art journal by ArtbyMarlene and are sized 8.1/4 x 11.3/4”.
Here is the full tutorial for these latest pages:
1. Glue on pages coming from a vintage book. I used pages from A Book of Old-World Gardens, published in 1911.
2. Rub a much watered down blue acrylic paint over the pages with a sponge.
3. Spray onto the pages through stencil Looping Leafy Vines Background with Marabu Silver spray paint (or any other permanent silver spray).
4. Repeat step 3 using Marabu Apple spray paint (or any other permanent green spray).
5. Repeat step 3 with Marabu Sky Blue spray paint (or any other permanent blue spray.
6. Using stencil Window Ledger 9 as a guideline, glue on garden images (from the same source as in step 1 in my case) where the window spaces are.
7. Using stencil Window Ledger 9 and a dark blue acrylic paint (I used Liquitex Muted Turquoise), stencil on the window frames with a cosmetic sponge. Use the remnants of the paint to edge the page.
8. Repeat step 6 and 7 on the other page but instead of using vintage images use pieces of Stamperia rice paper featuring roses and text.
9. Spray on green leaves on either side of the windows on both pages, using both sides of the stencil Longwood Florals and the apple Marabu spray paint (or any other permanent green spray paint.
10. Using stencil Longwood Florals again this time as a guideline to outline the leaves using both a permanent black marker and a sparkling green gelli pen.
11. Using a variety of alphabet stamps and a permanent black ink pad, stamp on the lines from Ben Okri’s poem unto vintage black paper (I again used the same vintage book and the margins of the pages). Tear them out and glue them on as shown, using a blue stick.
12. Add part of a clock face to the right hand page at top right, using the large stencil from April 2014 StencilClub with a gold embossing paste (I used Wendy Vecchi’s one) and a palette knife.
13. Using gold mica paint spray, add a bit of gold sparkle to the pages randomly using stencil
Looping Leafy Vines Background
14. Outline the gold clock with a permanent black marker.
15. Add the word TIME as shown using a permanent black marker and stencil Are We There Yet?
© Frieda Oxenham 2019. To see more of Frieda's work, please visit her BLOG.