Hello! Marge Taylor here, and I am delighted to share a recent project with you!
Like many artists, I’ve bought all sorts of supplies over the years, some of which got tucked away to languish on a shelf. I realized I had some things for years and recently made a resolution to try and use some of these supplies. I had purchased the wooden fish years ago and don’t even recall my initial plan for it. After it resurfaced, I contemplated several possibilities. I also had supplies I had picked up over time with the vague idea of doing a steampunk project someday, so I decided to do a steampunk fish.
Materials used: Unpainted wooden fish
Paint primer and assorted acrylic paint
Liquitex Flexible Modeling Paste
Craft foam sheet
Metallic seed beads
Assorted metal gears
Liquid Fusion adhesive
I sanded any rough spots on the fish and applied a coat of primer and a coat of metallic paint.
I wanted the fins to have texture, so I applied a thin coat of flexible modeling paste to the fins.
I used a craft stick and a comb to etch out fin lines.
I decided I wanted a raised panel on the fish back to contribute to the steampunk look, so I cut a strip of craft foam and glued it to the back. I painted the entire surface in a neutral metallic color.
I washed a thin coat of green paint along the back and belly to give the fish some color.
I sponged paint on the back panel in several grey tones to give an industrial look.
I lined up the Circles Layer Me Stencil on the spine and painted a line of circles, then lined up and added the coordinating smaller circles.
I put a line of paint dots along the edges using a paint brush handle.
I glued a metallic bead in the center of each circle.
This gave the look of bolts and rivets that steampunk requires.
I shifted to the sides of the fish and used the Connected Eyes Layer Me Stencil to give the look of scales. I added some small circles from the Circles Layer Me stencil along the belly. I decided the Border Circles Stencil could be adapted to give the look of gears. I placed them along the back spine and stenciled them in. I added hand painted circles to them.
I had a collection of gears I was able to glue to the sides. I used an adhesive called Liquid Fusion, which works on non-permeable surfaces. I used a combination of gears and a flat back bead for the eye.
I hung the fish. I was happy that I was able to achieve a steampunk look with stencils that could be used in many other ways. I was also thrilled to finally use some supplies I had on hand. This was my first time using the flexible modeling paste, and I found it easy to use with excellent results. I will definitely use it again.
Thanks for checking out my project! Come visit me!
Post a Comment
If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event we need to contact you.
To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
marybeth (at) stencilgirltalk (dot com)