We have arrived at the height of summer, at least if you live in the Northern Hemisphere, and it is time to celebrate our gardens. That is also what I tried to do on this spread, using one of the stencils from StencilGirl® Product that is so perfect in itself that I wanted to use it as is.
Here is the tutorial:
1. Thickly gesso two facing pages in your art journal. I used the large Dylusions journal. While the gesso is still wet use a pastry brush or a comb to make patterns in the gesso.
2. Apply acrylic paint to the pages with a brush and remove it again with a baby wipe through one of the patterns of the April 2022 StencilClub.
3. Cover the middle of the pages with white acrylic Paint using a brush. Some of the background will come through and that’s fine.
4. Using stencil Mid Century Modern Circles Pattern Mask, outline the pattern with a permanent black marker. I used Pigma Macron fine line o2.
5. Colour in the patterns using paint markers such as Posca or Artistra.
6. Using stencil Chicken Wire Mask and an 8 x 10” gelli plate with black acrylic paint take 2 or 3 prints on deli paper.
7. Tear the deli papers made in step 6 into small pieces and apply them around the spread like a fence, using matte medium.
8. Use a Dymo write or whatever you prefer to add text to the page
9. Use a permanent black inkpad to edge the pages black.
© Frieda Oxenham 2022. To see more of Frieda's work, please visit her BLOG.