I’m returning to my illustration of Ben Okri’s poem and we have reached the hopeful words: “We can wake to the power of our voice, change the world with the power of our choice”. I am constantly amazed by just how appropriate the lines of this poem are to the situations we find ourselves in, particularly at the moment, but I suspect to any moment.
Here are the steps I took to make these pages:
1. Gesso 2 facing pages. I’m using the pages from the large art journal from ArtbyMarlene. Use an old credit or hotel card to spread the gesso and while it is still well, spray on sparkle spray paint. Let this dry well.
2. Using white gesso and the large stencil from the July 2020 StencilClub add the image over the entire pages with a cosmetic sponge.
3. Glue on imagery from paper napkins, using the top layer only, with matte medium.
4. Spray on some more sparkle and mica spray paints as in step 1
5. Using selected areas of the large stencil from step 2 more marks with white gesso and pale green paint with a cosmetic wedge.
6. Add more shapes using all the stencils from the July 2020 StencilClub and turquoise paint.
7. Outline elements with a permanent white marker
8. Using the large stencil from the July 2020 Club stencils add red flowers as shown using a red oil pastels and your fingers. Add the pastel to the stencil and rub through the opening.
9. Rub on the red oil pastel randomly on the pages and spread it with a dampened finger. Do the same with a white oil pastel.
10. Glue on pieces of tissue wrap with lettering (I used Tim Holtz’s Postale)
11. Repeat step 4.
12. Spray on gold mica paint through the small stencil of the July 2020 StencilGirl® Club.
13. Glue on text (made on a Dymo Writer) as well as postage stamps.
14. Surround some of the circles with pink and yellow water soluble oil pastel.
15. Edge the pages with a dark blue oil pastel, spreading it with your fingers.
© Frieda Oxenham 2020. To see more of Frieda's work, please visit her BLOG.
Post a Comment
If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event we need to contact you.
To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
marybeth (at) stencilgirltalk (dot com)