1. Freehand draw a skeleton (or print a skeleton template from the web and transfer it to a substrate. I used Saral Transfer Paper in Yellow to transfer the image to heavyweight Watercolor Paper, 9"x12")
2. Darken the skeleton image with a black China Marker. I like the rough texture of the China Marker, but anything black would work: pastel, crayon, marker, etc.
3. Choose background color; paint around the skeleton image and in between bones.*
4. Fill in the eyes and mouth with black acrylic paint.
5. Using floral colors, stencil flowers and leaves around the crown of the skeleton's head.
7. Continue rough sketchy lines around facial details and bones.
*If desired, stencil over the background to make it look spooky.
Have fun experimenting as you make a Day of the Dead skeleton portrait that is perfectly unique to your style!