I’m writing this sometime before you will see it, in a time of restrictions and worries about the new Omicron virus. But I have begun to notice that I’m far less anxious than before, that I have started to adjust my expectations and there is much more balance in my everyday life. This spread is trying to picture that.
Here is the tutorial:
1. On a 2 page spread in your art journal (I used the large one from Dylusions) squirt out 3 different colours of paint and brayer them out over the pages.
2. Put Oh Velocity on top and rub away the paint using baby wipes. As I didn’t gesso the pages first it is harder to remove the paint but you end up with a hazier outline of the stencil on the pages and that was what I was after. Let dry thoroughly.
3. Glue on a variety of vintage papers, music and text over the pages as shown.
4. Add titanium white acrylic paint to the pages with a sponge.
5. Using a darker colour of paint, stencil on parts of stencil Vintage Ledger Script Large over the pages.
6. Stencil patterns on deli paper using colours matching your pages with the following stencils: the medium stencil from the October 2015 StencilClub, the medium stencil from March 2018 StencilClub, Fragmented Line Columns, Grid Outline 4 by 4, and MB Makes Marks Marker.
7. Tear out bits of the stenciled deli paper and glue to the pages using regular gel medium.
8. Using stencil Graphic Mod Mask 1: 70s Play mark out the outline of the stencil unto the pages (one in reverse) using a pencil. Then colour in the shapes in colours matching your pages. I used Bruynzeel brush pens in 2 different colours.
9. Add white dots and outline the squares on the pages with a permanent white marker (I used a Posca one).
10. Outline the large shapes with a permanent black marker
11. Splatter the pages with pink and white acrylic inks
12. Add the text “Life is a balancing act”. I used a Dymo writer for this. Also write this or parts of it elsewhere on the pages.
13. Edge the pages with a permanent black inkpad.