Stenciled Shimmer Sheetz Butterflies: Cards and Puzzle
by Judi Kauffman for StencilGirl Products
Here are the recipes for a pair of fun, fast projects - cards and a puzzle. Stenciled Shimmer Sheetz butterflies are the starting point for both of them.
1. Back pieces of Yellow and Purple Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz, or other colors of choice, with double-sided adhesive sheet. Butterflies shown are just shy of 4” x 5”.
2. Hand- or die-cut some simple butterflies.
3. Stencil each butterfly with symmetrical patterns using acrylic paint in two or more colors. Overlap the patterns, blend the colors as much or as little as you like; go for an abstract or batik-like effect.
1. Center a single butterfly on the front of a solid color A2 top-fold card base.
2. Optional: Stencil the background with an all-over pattern using acrylic paint in the same two colors that were used for the butterflies, plus metallic gold (not shown.)
1. Back pieces of Light Blue Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz with double-sided adhesive sheet.
2. Cover a piece of chipboard with the adhesive-backed Shimmer Sheetz.
3. Randomly stencil an intricate all-over pattern using acrylic paint in the same two colors that were used for the butterflies, plus metallic gold.
4. Arrange stenciled butterflies so they appear to be flying over the surface of the stenciled background, wings touching but not overlapping.
5. Die cut the puzzle. If a puzzle die is not available, hand-cut the rectangle into randomly angled pieces using a craft knife and straight edge. (Die used: AccuCut Puzzle #3, 9.25” x 7.75”.)
The photos below show the puzzle prior to die-cutting:
Skip the adhesive backing on the butterflies so the wings can be bent upward for the following –
1. For cards, invitations, and party décor adhere only the body and keep the wings dimensional.
2. Perch butterflies on plants or flower arrangements (Shimmer Sheetz is waterproof).
3. Create a butterfly ‘garland’ by stringing them on ribbon, cord, or wire.
StencilGirl Products –
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
Shimmer Sheetz in Iridescent Yellow, Purple, and Light Blue
(One 5” x 12” piece of Shimmer Sheetz yields 3 butterflies)
Clear Double-Sided Adhesive Sheets, 5” x 12”
Americana Acrylics in colors of choice to coordinate with Shimmer Sheetz
Shown: Dioxazine Purple, Sea Breeze
Dazzling Metallics in Champagne Gold